Friday, August 22, 2014

Making the Ordinary Come Alive

A friend of mine recently posted this passage from William Martin's, The Parent's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents on her facebook page



When I read this it summed up perfectly a lesson the Lord had reminded me of recently. This excerpt is a great example of where my phrase, 'ordinary moments, extraordinary life' takes root. There is so much beauty in life's simple pleasures if we take the time to seek them out, or let them happen as they come, and give them the chance to take root in our hearts. 

I was just thinking about this when I took these pictures of a few of my kids while we were attending family camp. We had come back to our little family cabin to quickly change out of swim suits and head back for organized game time. While some of the kids were changing a few of the big kids made their way into the creek by our cabin and began to explore. 


As I looked down on them from a little bridge above I witnessed them helping each other across the rocks and water. They were excitedly pointing out treasures and creatures to each other. Squealing in joy at these new discoveries and not wanting each other to miss out on any of it. 


As I watched my children from my vantage point above I was suddenly in no hurry to get back for camp game time. It was time to let go of the busy schedule and live in the beautiful moment they were experiencing right then.  The hope in my heart that day was that when my children grow up and reflect back on their childhood, that moments like this would come back to them. That ordinary moments exploring creeks and catching frogs would add together to build an extraordinary childhood for them. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. -Psalm 127:3-5