Monday, August 4, 2014

Bringer of Joy

My first experience in reclaiming live music back into my life was one I will never forget. It's a story of unlikely friendships made, a lesson on being open to unbridled joy, and a 'I can't believe this is actually happening' moment that came because I said yes to something I wouldn't have done on my own. These are gifts I will always hold dear to my heart and they came to me through music.

The venue was an outdoor amphitheater which consisted of a pit area, seated area, then a large field area behind that. It reminded me of a slightly smaller scale of the Hollywood Bowl where I was lucky enough to see a few shows in my younger days. It was a warm summer day and we arrived early to get seats and enjoy some wine and visit with our friends who were also attending the show. We were seated at the back of the seating area pretty close to the stage. My Husby and good friend Sarah flanked each side of me. Sarah came to the show with her friend Roxy who had won summer season tickets to the amphitheater. As we were visiting before the show a group of young people came and sat in the seats directly in front of us. We are talking tattoos, brightly colored hair, and the very distinct smell of pot, type of young people. I didn't think much about it because my eyes just kept wandering to this line up of guitars(more on that in a future post) and the conversation around me.

The opening band was a group called the Plain White T's. Such a fun group of guys to watch! There is something energizing about watching a band that has made it but not quite made it preform. There is a hunger and enthusiasm there that is fun to watch. Singing their song 1,2,3,4 with a huge crowd of people and my arm around my Husby will forever come back to me whenever I hear that song in the future. 

The second band to go on was Daughtry. I only knew a hand full of his songs so this point of the night held a lot of observation for me. I love people watching and I especially love seeing the way that music effects people so uniquely, yet collectively at the same time. My friend Sarah loves Daughtry and as he was preforming I look over at her and capture this picture. Husby leans over to me and says, "I wish I could have as much fun at life as Sarah does."

This picture so completely sums up who she is. And thats just it. She chooses to find joy, happiness, and adventure in all she does. Her attitude of joy is contagious! If she's with you then surely you are having a good time. She brings laughter and joy where ever she goes.  She embodies all good things a friend should be. She is Sarah-Bringer of Joy! These are the thoughts I have while the music plays, and the people sing. I am forever thankful for the blessing of friendship and the lessons I am taught through it. 

After Daughtry finishes on a high note we have a little time before the headliner goes on. I can't help but notice the tattoo that ran down the back of the young girl in front of me. Only the first word was showing and the rest was hidden by the dress she was wearing. Husby and I joke around about what it might say and I lean over to ask Sarah what she thinks. Sarah doesn't hesitate for a moment she leans forward and taps the girl on the shoulder and asks her what her tattoo says. Thus a conversation begins. Introductions are exchanged. Brothers, sisters, dating, friends-their connections to each other unfold. Where they are from, how they came to be there that night. Drinks are bought for each other and shared. Group photos are taken, concert stories exchanged. All through out there are laughs and jumping up and down in excitement. Never in a million years would I have walked up to those kids and talked to them in another setting. But music gives us common ground. It can create friendships and cement bonds and facebook can keep them going ;)


As the headliners take the stage the level of excitement around me amps up. I have listened to the Goo Goo Dolls since I was in high school. I have memories of my early dating days with Nick and signing Black Ballon and Slide in his car as we drove around town. I will always love the lyric "Oh May do you want to get married, or run away?"(My maiden name initials were MAE) So needless to say I have really been looking forward to seeing them live for a long time. We stand and everyone is smiling ear to ear as they take the stage and play. A few songs in Sarah turns to me and says she really wants to go up and see them closer and asks me if I want to join her. I look at that enthusiastic face and find myself saying yes. Husby decides to hang back with Roxy and Sarah and I make our way down to the crowd in the pit area. She takes the lead and starts to weave us in amongst the fans. Before I know it we are only 3 people deep from the stage. And there is Johnny Rzeznik in all his aging glory. And there was Sarah and I in the thick of it looking at each other with that "Can you believe this is even happening right now?!" grins on our faces. We look up and there is our new young friend Crystal crowd surfing over us and I'm holding her up and passing her along... And this surreal moment is actually my life because I said yes to an adventure I would probably not have initiated on my own. And black balloons are being tossed up and passed on in the air in lieu of beach balls, and Johnny strums on, and This. Is. My. Life. And this moment will live on forever for me as the drum kit echoes in the chambers of my heart, and the guitar vibrates in my soul, and Sarah is smiling at me, and my life is truly extraordinary.






I am looking forward to what the year of concerts will bring for us as we adventure to see Bruno Mars, The Counting Crows, Elton John, David Crowder, Mercy Me, and Justin Timberlake in concert. I am finding myself looking for ways to say yes when I may other wise have said no.  By doing so I can experience all the Lord has for me when I'm not getting in the way of myself. Thank you Sarah Bringer of Joy for teaching me to gather all the joy life has to offer and most importantly, to pass it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are the children born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. -Psalm 127:3-5